North Prospect Union United Church of Christ stands in the New England Congregational tradition. Through its parent churches, Prospect Congregational Church and North Congregational Church in Cambridge, and North Street Union Church in Medford, it traces its lineage back to the nineteenth century, and from there to the seventeenth century Puritans. Today North Prospect Union, as a member of the United Church of Christ, sees itself as a Christian church, rooted in the community, bound together by covenant, encouraging the spiritual growth of its congregants and care for all in God’s creation.
On September 20, 1827, thirty-nine women and six men, having responded to the evangelical preaching of Lyman Beecher, formed the “First Evangelical Congregational Church in Cambridgeport,” later Prospect Congregational Church. Its first house of worship was on Norfolk Street, and in 1852, after great growth under its second minister, William Stearns, it built the church on Prospect Street, which stands next to Whole Foods.
Meanwhile, by the middle of the century North Cambridge, between Harvard Square and Arlington, had grown enough to need a church. On July 15, 1857 twenty-seven women and sixteen men met on Bowdoin Street to organize a Congregational Church. Its first permanent building was the Holmes Chapel, built on Arlington Street. In 1866 the church bought the building that belonged to Old Cambridge Baptist Church. It was moved from its site near Harvard Square to its current location at 1803 Mass. Ave Cambridge, by oxen, taking twenty-one days, but without disrupting the horse car schedule! The building was sold to Leslie University in January 2006.
NORTH STREET UNION CHURCH
In the 1920s, North Street church was built in Medford. It is the current building for North Prospect Union UCC formed through consolidation with North Prospect UCC in 2006.
On June 1, 1985, after three years of a shared ministry, Prospect and North churches officially joined together to become North-Prospect UCC.
NORTH PROSPECT UNION
On January 1, 2006, North-Prospect and North Street Union Churches joined together to for North Prospect Union United Church of Christ. This is the happy home where we still we reside today.